Scripts and video's of most individual performances are posted on the Internet. The films were made for the Internet and are available for download at the indicated site.
1. Primordial Fertilization of Time; Created in October of 1992. It was a 20 minute piece. It was never scripted or video taped. It exist only as notes and still photographs. Many of it's ideas were later used in other performances. This piece has a direct link to the Kent State Shootings of 1970.
2. Jack's Theorem and the Primal thought; A fast paced with few words, visual piece. This would be difficult to adapt to small coffee house theater type because a major part of the performance was the decapitating of a live chicken. This performance was so powerful that it was still mentioned in reviews three years later. I gave one dollar to each audience member. Short video clips and script notes are on the web site. Performed April 1, 1993 and April 8, 1993. (Four or more performers)
|This web site was updated the fall of 2006
JACK'S THEOREM With the update I have included how it has
influenced my Performance Art pieces for the past thirteen years. This site
also has the chicken video and the industrial music background for the last
ten minutes. Also new still photographs.
Here also is a link to old site with awkward navigation and less information (no video of last ten minutes) JACK'S THEOREM This old site is still up in case the new one goes down and the search engines still have one they can find.
3. Primal Human Book; Involves three performers
and involves giving away money (about $25). Could be adapted to theater. Poor script/very
poor video tape. Performed May 30, 1993.
4. Super Code; Involves more than three people.
This was performed at DVAC (Dayton Visual Art's Center) with several students. It has the
potential for an unlimited number of performers. However there is only one speaking part.
Has potential as either theater or dance. Very good script/excellent video tape
Performed July 2, 1993. Link
5. Millenniums End; This is short, about seven
minutes. Contains no words. Involves two performers. One female
must be nude. Performed July 2, 1993, October 8,
1993 and April 8, 1994.
6. Pied Piper; Was performed at ACME Art Co. in
Columbus Oh. It was very similar to a small theater coffee house setting. Involves mostly
an anti-government theme. Hitler, etc. Must give each audience member one dollar. Involves
two or more performers. No script/excellent video tape. Performed October 8,
1993. A modified Pied Piper was performed in the Spring of 2001 at
Samuel Johnson's Coffee House in Dayton Ohio
7. Men's Stuff; Performed inside a large plastic
tetrahedron. Would be hard to adapt to coffee house stage due to the tetrahedron set up.
One performer. No spoken words. Text of audio. Performed November 13, 1993.
8. The Blind and Mute Wasp;
This was an
adaptation of the "Primal Human Book". Reduced to two performers. Again involves
giving away money. (minimum of $25.).
Performed November 13, 1993.
9. Out Out Brief Candle;
The most complex and
theatrical of my performances. Contained simultaneous performances. Involved six
performers. Requires two Rats. Involves suicide/democracy/Jim Jones/Hitler. Good
script/excellent video. Actually performed in a theater (Cleveland Public
Theater). Performed April 9, 1994. Still mentioned in reviews two years later. From the
Cleveland Free Times, August 7, 1996, page 19. "and that wild and crazy tension
monger Jack Bowman and Rituals (remember the chicken decapitating? the rats?) will
certainly rev up the evening" http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/jimjones.htm
10. Danse Macabre Prologue;
performer telling fortunes with a computer. Requires one performer. Uses IBM computer.
Performed June/July 1994.
11. Origin of Religion; Involves three or more
performers. No words but pre-human like sounds are required. Would work well in coffee
house setting. This is the first part of the Danse Macabre Trilogy. Performed
12. Origin of Time (Dark Time #1).
part of the Danse Macabre Trilogy. This performance was later improved and video taped but
never performed live. The later performance is called Dark Time 2. Involves three or more
performers. Performed June/July
1994. Link DARK TIME
13. Jack and Marnies History of the Universe;
This is the third part of the Danse Macabre Trilogy. Involves two performers. Constant
words. No video of actual performance/no script. Very good video
of final practice only. Performed June/July 1994.
14. Baggage of the Flags;
Very abstract. Mostly
installation (set) and one performer. Would not adapt well to Coffee House Theater. Still photos and notes are excellent. Performed November 1994.
Link to flyer http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/woodorg.htm
15. Raids on the Chicken Coop/Search for Time Travelers '95;
Abstract. Involves raiding, unannounced, commercial places. The audience would only hear
radio communication. Many videos of Raids were made. Performed January - April 1995.
16. Marionette's Marionettes;
involves raids. Excellent video's of Raids were made. Performed April/May 1995.
17. Polaroid Self Portrait of God;
Involves three or more performers and three or more sets. Performed November 1995.Link
18. Dark Time #2; Never performed. Adapted from
the second part of the Danse Macabre Trilogy. Involves nudity viewed from the back. Involves three or more performers.Created
the Summer of 1995. Link DARK TIME
|19. Declaration of the Artist; Involves one complex set and two other scenes. A lot of words. Snakes are required. Four or more performers. Nudity required but in very artistic manner. Never performed but complete performance video taped. Created the Summer of 1995. Link to video clip (in real media format) from this performance http://www.performanceart2.com/declaration/page1decl.htm|
19. Declaration of the Artist;
complex set and two other scenes. A lot of words. Snakes are required. Four or more
performers. Nudity required but in very artistic manner. Never performed but complete
performance video taped. Created the Summer of
1995. Link to video clip (in real media format) from this
Link to video clip (in real media format) from this
performance DARK TWO
20. Ed Gein's Xmas; Theater type. Involves two performers and food server. Well received in reviews. Only one word of monologue, "maggots". Very good for a set designer. Requires a 1957 set. Performed during or immediately after Gun Deer Hunting Season. Performed in December of 1995 at Jack's Studio in Dayton Ohio. Link to video clips (in real media format) from this performance http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/edxmas.htm Link to essay on cannibalism http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/taboo.htm
21. Ice Man; Involves
giving audience members frozen paint that they are to heat with their body to
paint a surface. Excellent video. Performed January 1996.
22. The Hunter; Originally designed to be
performed simultaneously with "Chaos". Involves HIGH RISK
to performers. An apple needs shot off one performers head by another performer. Involves
three performers. Performed February 1996 at Jack's
Studio in Dayton Ohio. Link to video clip (in real media
format) from this performance
http://www.performanceart2.com/hunter/page1hunt.htm Link to video clip (in real media format) from this
performance DARK ONE
23. Chaos; Originally designed to be performed
simultaneously with "The Hunter". Involves some possible legal risk
to performer. Video made. Requires radio communication with the audience. Performed
March 1996 at Jack's Studio in Dayton Ohio..
24. Search for Time Travelers '96;
performed at Front Street Coffee House during three open mic poetry reading nights. Requires computer, TV's, etc. Excellent
videos/excellent script. Performed July 1996. Link
to a video clip from this performance
25. American Nursery Rhyme;
house performance. Involves two performers and complex but quick set. Dialogue/monologue. Performed August 1996.. American
Nursery Rhyme; was again performed at the Cleveland Performance Art
festival in August of 1996.
Link to a
still image from this performance http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/jacks.htm
26. Uncle Woody; Uncle Woody is an an automaton. He is a puppet that resembles Uncle Sam that reacts to a computer program. He is set up in an entrance way and people walk to his right or left. They are instructed to walk right or left relative to the issue that Uncle Woody is taking votes n. When they walk to the side a motion detector counts the votes and at the end of a pre-set time. In this case three days, Uncle Woody will take action based on the issue voted on. In this case he burned a symbolic flag. The issues were one of the top presidential candidates or none of the candidates. Uncle Woody performed on election night in November of 1996. Link to a review (with still photo) of this performance http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/woodpr1.htm Link to another review of this performance http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/woodpr2.htm
27. Mystery of the Witches Forest; A children's theater type that involves the use of the phenomenon of after images to tell a story. Performed in Coffee House Theater in the fall of 1996 at the Front Street Coffee House in Dayton Ohio.
28. The End; A theater type piece that was
actually written for coffee house theater. Involves two actors. A complete and thorough
script was written and available. A video tape of the last practice is only.
Performed at Front Street Coffee House November 27, 1996. 15 minutes long.
Link to a video clip in (real media) rm format from this performance
29. Strike; A theater type piece that is set in
a coffee house. Involves four actors, audience participation, and extras. Script completed
in January 1997. Performed at the EFX coffee house as an environmental theater
piece on April 21,1998. For a web site dedicated to
30. America's Second Civil War; Tells the story of the West Virginia Coal Mine wars of the 1920's. Performed at the Cleveland Performance Art Festival, in the Colonial Arcade, in May of 1997. Performed at EFX Coffee house in Dayton Ohio in March of 1997. Very poor video. For a web site dedicated to this performance http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/acivwar.htm
31. Mr. Hitler's Neighborhood; A take off of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood but a powerful comment on public education. Performed at the Cleveland Performance Art Festival in the Cleveland Public Theater on May 24, 1998. The complete performance is on the net as a video. For a web site dedicated to this performance (the web site is part of the performance) http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/hitler.htm Mr. Hitler's Neighborhood was performed at the Museum Center, Cincinnati Ohio on October 13, 2001.
32. The Church of Uncle Woody This is an in progress performance/site that in itself is the major part of the performance art piece. The Church of Uncle Woody explores our relationship with God and the computer. It was created the summer of 1998 and will continue for a year or so. To participate in the performance go to Uncle Woody's site at http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/woodsite.htm
|FILM UNCLE ED'S ONE AND ONLY TRUE WORLD OF SCIENCE. Created in 1999. Ed Gein explains the parable of Plato's Cave. The site contains creation notes, transcript, still photo's and set design. The film is available in both Real Player and YouTube versions http://www.performanceart2.com/redqueen/plato.htm|
33. Performance in Plato's Cave or Alice in the Garden performed at the Last Cleveland Performance Art's Festival April 24 of 1999. This performance included a live internet transmission. Video/script etc. is at the internet site. For a website dedicated to this performance http://members.tripod.com/~jackbowman/menupage.htm
34. Revolution, Revolution is an ongoing Internet Performance Art Piece. Created in the Fall of 1999, Updated in June of 2000. Scenes from Anthony Burgess's The Wanting Scene are acted out as a part of the extensive ongoing performance. In progress Internet performance located at http://jackbowman.home.mindspring.com/revolution/index.html THIS SITE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY REMOVED
35. GOTO 2422 Performed at 909 Keowee Street in Dayton Ohio. 27 October 2000. This is a sťance used in an attempt to call time travelers from the year 2422. For a web site dedicated to this performance http://jackbowman.home.mindspring.com/time/
36. Canary in a Coal Mine was written as a proposal for the Philadelphia Fringe Festival of 2001. It was rejected. Izan Knarf is a major character in this script. Extremely complex because it was made with the attributes of Performance Art but also made to last 60 minutes to accommodate Theater conventions. It is a warning about the worker from the Industrial Revolution onward being made into an insect that burrows in the ground, like an ant colony. The script was written the fall and winter of 2000-2001.
37. Last Picture on the Roll performed in March 30, 2001. This performance is about the real America, the violence in our lives. This performance introduces Izan Knarf, the black Nazi clown from hell as a major character. It documents the true violence that an American is subjected to as he progresses through life. for a web site dedicated to this performance http://jackbowman.home.mindspring.com/last/lastpic.htm
38. Trail of Tears performed at the Trolley Stop in Dayton Ohio June 6th 2001. This piece is about the Cherokee death march in the Winter of 1838 and 1839. It is a performance Poetry piece. for a web site dedicated to this performance http://jackbowman.home.mindspring.com/poetry/tears.htm
39. The Man that forgot to Mow performed at David Shoe Building in Cincinnati Ohio, 7 September 2001. The piece is a short shadow puppet show but the true nature of it is the Universal Psyche as it indicated the existence of such. Now in light of September 11 the Universal Psyche becomes even more pronounced as it is about violence, government and suppression. For a web site dedicated to this performance http://jackbowman.home.mindspring.com/quantum/quantum%20perf/quantperf1.htm
40. Death Row an in progress Internet performance located at http://www.worldoftruth.com Created the Summer of 2001. This performance (with the use of symbols and exaggeration) portrays public education in a true light. Death Row is where all creativity is executed.
41. War Kills an In progress Internet performance located at http://www.warkills.com Created in October of 2001. This is a Dayton Ohio USA area Peace site. Includes activist information. It is updated frequently.
42. A Midsummer Night's Dream http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/midsummer/index.htm 14 June 2002 SSNova in Cincinnati Ohio This site includes video, still photographs, text and artist statement.
43. Dance With Hitler http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/bash/dwhitler.htm 5 July 2002. 1470 West in Dayton Ohio This site includes video, still photographs and text.
44. The Miner or The Worker http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/bash/mintext.htm 5 July 2002. 1470 West in Dayton Ohio This site includes still photographs and text.
45. Sold out Hippy with John MacAulay http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/bash/soldtext.htm 5 July 2002. 1470 West in Dayton Ohio. This site includes still photo and text.
46. Polly's Performance Art Show Web site located at http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/DATV/ Additional videos are located here http://www.24sevenmovie.com/Polly/polly.htm December 2002
|FILM In 2002 and 2003 I made a DATV (Dayton Access Television) show called Polly's Performance Art Show. Only one episode was completed. However, there was more video. Here are two of Polly's interviews. One with Mark The Marxist and one with Ellie the Alien. http://www.24sevenmovie.com/Polly/polly.htm|
|FILM Four films made for Polly's Performance Art Show. 2002-2003. http://www.24sevenmovie.com/ These are cliffhanger serials. Quantum Girl is pursued by the "Son of the Mad Blaster" and his sidekick "Santa's Helper"|
47. The Ant Prophesies Web site located at http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/bugs/antproph2.htm December 2002
48. The Communist Cafe Performance. First performed on February 11, 2003 at Borders book store. Web site located at http://www.jacksartcircus.com/cafe/firstread.htm A version of this performance was also done a couple more times. The Future Now and The Second Happening were versions of the Communist Cafe Performance.
49. Eva Rave Puppet Show Web site located at http://www.capjacks.com/puppet/index.htm September 2003
50. Captain Jack's Marionette Theater Web site located at http://www.capjacks.com/ 2004
|FILM CAPTAIN JACK'S PUPPET SHOW. (2004) In three parts. Three video's in real media format. Captain Jack and his constant companion "Parrot" live in the treasure cave and use puppets from around the world for their puppet shows. http://www.24sevenmovie.com/|
51. Evolution Bible Web site located at http://www.capjacks.com/bible/ 2004
52. The Future Now September 17, 2005. Web site located at http://www.jacksartcircus.com/cafe/perf205.htm
53. Dead but Alive Performed October 22, 2005 in Miamisburg Ohio. Web site located at http://www.jacksartcircus.com/cafe/aminaperf.htm
54. The Second Happening Performed October 22, 2005 in Miamisburg Ohio. Web site located at http://www.capjacks.com/performance/second.htm
55. Search For Time Travelers (Therapy Cafe) November 8, 2005. Dayton Ohio. Web Site http://www.24sevenmovie.com/time/therapyraid.htm
56. Search For Time Travelers (Oregon Express) November 15, 2005, Dayton Ohio. Web Site http://www.24sevenmovie.com/time/oregonraid.htm
57. Search For Time Travelers (Leaf and Vine) December 1, 2005, Dayton Ohio. Web Site http://www.24sevenmovie.com/time/troyraid.htm
58. The First Great Triangle December 15, 2005. Paris, Buenos Aires, Piqua Ohio USA. Web site located at http://www.24sevenmovie.com/project/index.htm
59. The Second Great Triangle January 18-19, 2006. Moscow, Western Cape South Africa, Piqua Ohio USA. Web site located at http://www.24sevenmovie.com/project/index.htm
60. Hell's Bullet Performed at Pearl, Dayton Ohio, 12 March 2006. Web site located at http://www.24sevenmovie.com/catch/hellsbullet.htm This site contains a video and a transcript of Hell's Bullet. Another site is dedicated to Izan Knarf the Nazi Clown from Hell. He is the one that did the Bullet Catch. This site has references to various Izan Knarf performances www.IzanKnarf.com.
61. Mr. Hitler's Neighborhood (Oregon Express) Performed at Oregon Express, Dayton Ohio 24 April 2006. Video of the Performance is located at VIDEO'S OF MR HITLER See Performance number 31 for other performances of Mr. Hitler's Neighborhood.
62. Jesus and the Mongolians Performed at Pearl, Dayton Ohio, 27 April 2006. A script and video of the performance is located at JESUS AND THE MONGOLIANS
63. The Red Queen This is the Perfect Performance Art Piece because it involves combined multiple performances. It includes "Fred" that is the invisible performer that is the Internet site that contains all the information, including video and still photographs. Any of the performances can stand alone or be combined in any manner to make a complete performance. This works because it is based on Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" Alice in the Garden of Live Flowers. This gives them all a common root. Index for three performances, video, still photos, "Fred's" stand alone part, creative records and alternate performance www.RedQueenPrinciple.com Performed 28 October 2006 in Dayton Ohio. Site of early, Internet only, work on this performance Visual Performance of the Red Queen
64. Sťance (not yet performed) Site of early work on this performance http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/perfinprog/ghost.htm
65. Glitch in the Constancy of the Space Time Continuum (not yet performed) Site of early work on this performance http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/perfinprog/marconi.htm
GO TO PERFORMANCE ART DEFINED